Six credits are considered a normal class load. Students may have no more than two study hall periods a day unless approved by the Academic Standards Committee. To be a member of any class, a student must have the following required minimum unit credits at the beginning of the year:
- Seniors 18 credits
- Juniors 12 credits
- Sophomores 6 credits
Adding or Dropping Classes
Students may add classes within the first five days of each semester. Students may drop classes within the first ten school days of each semester but will be assigned to a study hall by the registrar. To add or drop a class, students must work with the registrar to:
- obtain a drop/add form from the registrar
- obtain written or verbal permission from the parent/guardian
- obtain necessary signatures od appropriate teacher(s)
- return the form to the registrar
During a student's high school program, he/she will be expected to take a number of tests measuring academic progress. All enrolled students are required to participate in annual standardized tests; Iowa Test of Educational Development (ITED) and the Cognative Abilities Test (GoGAT). Other specific grade level tests may include:
- Ohio Graduation Tests (OGAT) - a passing score on five content areas is a high school graduation requirement. These tests are given during the sophomore year.
- PLAN - produced by ACT, this test for sophomores includes a career interest inventory, high school course planning guide and achievement test.
- Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) - a national test administered in the fall to sophomores and juniors. The test instrument is used by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation in its annual scholarship competition for juniors.
- American Collegiate Test (ACT)/Scholastic Aptitude Test(SAT) - these two college entrance exams ar used by many schools to assist in determining college acceptance and scholarships. SVA is a non-Saturday test site for both exams.
Prior to any other standardized or special testing of students at SVA, permission of the parent(s)/guardian(s) will be secured. The results will be made available to parent(s)/guardian(s) as soon as possible after the results have been obtained.