Class attendance at Spring Valley Academy is an integral part of its strong academic program. The absence policy is meant to enhance school attendance laws in Ohio. SVA is required by these laws to contact a parent or guardian whenever a student is absent from school. As an aid to the attendance officer, PARENTS/GUARDIANS ARE REQUESTED TO CALL THE SCHOOL BY 9:00 AM TO REPORT STUDENT ABSENCES.
Excused absences/tardies include:
- Ilness (students ill more than 3 days must have a written doctor's note for absence to be excused)
- Medical, dental, or court appointments
- death in the immediate family
- driver's license exam
- Religious observances
- appointment with SVA administrator or Guidance counselor
- school activity approved in advance by faculty and administration
Unexcused absences/tardies include:
- family trips that are not pre-approved
- alarm not going off
- appointment other than medical, dental or court appointments or driver's exam
- transportation problems
- "personal" reasons
When a student returns from an approved appointment, he/she must bring a note signed and dated by the doctor giving the reason for the absence/tardy.
Students who arrive late to school or are not on time to their class will be tardy and must stop at the office to receive an excused or unexcused slip to gain entrance into class. If the student is more than 10 minutes late, the tardy becomes an "absence" for that class period.
Only three (3) excuses per quarter for tardies will be allowed for transportation problems such as:
- heavy traffic
- morning fog
- car wouldn't start
- flat tire
- ride was late
- stopped by a train
- parent/guardian running late
When a parent(s)/guardian(s) find it necessary to pick up students before the end of the school day, the parent(s)/guardian(s) must sign out the student in the school office. The office will then contact the class room teacher who will dismiss the student to come to the office. Students who miss more that 10 minutes of a class period, either at the beginning or ending of the class, will be counted as absent from the class.